Tools Menu Option Not Appearing

SDK supports Prepar3D’s philosophy of an open development architecture and encourages third parties to bring new innovations with improved add-ons and training content.
PhearMark

Post by PhearMark »

I have installed Perpar3D as well as the SDK into their default directories and have followed the directions presented in the SDK Learning Center for Mission Creation setup, however the tools option still does not appear on my menu bar.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. My current dll.xml file looks like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">

<Descr>Launch</Descr>

<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D SDK 1.1.2771.0\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

The dll.xml file is located both in the "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D" folder and the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D SDK 1.1.2771.0\Mission Creation Kit" folder.

Currently I cannot see any issue with my file, installation, or file location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Hi PhearMark,

I have basically the same set-up here with W7 64 bit Ultimate. I copied over the dll.xml from the Object Placement SDK to the AppData\Roaming... directory and copied over the location of the objectplacement.dll PATH.

I have noted that the following is different between your xml file and mine.

Line 6 should be:

<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

So, if you copy the dll.xml file straight over into your AppData/Roaming path and just amend the Path statement it should start working for you.

Let me know how you go.

Regards,

John

PhearMark

Post by PhearMark »

I edited the line but get the same result of no Tools menu option appearing.
beatle

Post by beatle »

You said you have the XML file in Users\Administrator. Are you actually logged onto the machine using the Administrator account?
PhearMark

Post by PhearMark »

Yes, the Administrator account is the only account on this machine. It does not even have Guest accounts.
beatle

Post by beatle »

What did you use to edit the DLL.XML file? Is it possible the editor you used saved the file in Unicode format (easy to tell, see if the file in the appdata directory is roughly the same size as the one in the SDK, if its almost twice the size, then the file probably got saved as Unicode). A Unicode format file that has an XML header that says it is in windows-1252 format will cause the XML loader to halt parsing the file.

Tim
PhearMark

Post by PhearMark »

They are both very small files at 508 bytes (both exactly the same size). Currently I am going to uninstall both programs and run fresh installs and see if some file might have been corrupted at some point. I will post again after re-installation.
PhearMark

Post by PhearMark »

Completed my fresh installs of both the main Prepar3D software and the SDK and still have the same issue. I edit the dll.xml file with Notepad++ and I made sure to try it with the Launch.ManualLoad line fixed as well.

Still no luck, no tools menu bar option appears. Is there some way to verify that I have the dll.xml files in the correct locations and that Prepar3D is finding them?
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

Hi PhearMark,

Please email support@prepar3d.com the exact dll.xml file found in your “C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D” folder. This will help is debug your issue.

Thank you!
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
PhearMark

Post by PhearMark »

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about what ended up being the issue. I was using an out-of-date installer for Prepar3D which was not putting the most recent version of Prepar3D onto my machine. The SDK was, evidently, not compatible with the version of Prepar3D that was on the machine and so I was not getting the Tools menu option. After downloading and installing the most recent version of Prepar3D that I had access to, the Tools menu option appeared perfectly on the first try! Just wanted to make sure this information was here in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.