Improve VR accuracy?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
dwbarnett

Improve VR accuracy?

Post by dwbarnett »

Hi folks just getting around to trying my Pimax 5K+ in P3D 4.5x

I'm using the flysimware MU-2....Looks pretty cool. I know you can't turn of that white circle thingy.

However, is there any way to improve the accuracy when flipping ON/OFF switches in cockpit.

Some areas of the panels, no issues getting right switch. However, when trying to flip sws like say on throttle quadrant
or autopilot area, the cursor will float above that switch, I can never select it. Any suggestions to improve accuracy.

Thank YOU.
Best,
David

EDIT: OK saw the MouseHitDistance setting. It's on 2 right now. DO we just wing to see what works? Or is there perhaps a little more easier way of determining the correct setting?
CplDaniel

Re: Improve VR accuracy?

Post by CplDaniel »

I would love to hear your assessment of the Pimax 5k+ equipment.
I've been considering Pimax 5k+ against maybe the Valve Index for SIM use until Iris-scanning FoVeated Wide-FoV displays like Xtal can reach more consumer-friendly price levels
Daniel
dwbarnett

Post by dwbarnett »

Hi Daniel. I like my 5k+. Although. it's also my first VR HMD. I have a fairly powerful machine, but still struggle at times.

You pretty much need a 2080ti card to really see it working it's best. Even then, it can still bog down.

Pimax continues to improve their software, so I know they'll get things right at some point. First time I put the 5K on, I was blown away with the VR stuff. You'll need some pretty good horespower to enjoy to it's fullest.

Hope that helps a little.
Best,
David
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

dwbarnett wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:29 am . First time I put the 5K on, I was blown away with the VR stuff. You'll need some pretty good horespower to enjoy to it's fullest.
Best,
David
Horsepower, I can build for.
But, VR Headset reviews from consumers who actually buy the product are hard to come by. Especially so at the high-end, and for flight simulation.

After you (and anybody else with a Pimax) have had plenty of time to break 'er in and log some flight hours, I would really appreciate an assessment on SDE (Screen Door Effect) and overall image quality with regard to reading cockpit gauges and avionics displays.
Daniel
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware Discussion:
I was thinking the best chance of maxing out the Pimax in P3d would be a $3,000-$5,000 build, centered around 9900k [$479], Asus WS Z390 [$349] Workstation (For the PLX chip managing PCI bus lanes), and Two 2080ti cards [~$1000]

That ASUS workstation z390 should allow for both cards to run at 16x/16x, or even add a RAID Array and run at 16x/8x/8x

But, there's a chance that the new NVlink bridge (replacement for SLI) from Nvidia negates any advantage of the Asus WS z390 by directly bridging the two cards in a way that MIGHT bypasses the PCI bus system entirely (In which case the buyer wastes $150 overpaying for a z390 MotherBoard). If anybody around Austin is using a 9900k Asus Workstation for running Prepar3d, I'm sure you already have at least ONE 2080ti, so I can bring a 2nd one over for a day of benchmark testing to prove & quantify any benefits improvement
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel
Lakim395

Valve index

Post by Lakim395 »

Hi I don’t know if anyone can help with reference to this issue
I have valve index upon starting prepar3dv4.5 I select vr - steam vr
Put headset on and I see 2 cockpit in display slightly overlapping each other
I have vr settings mono ipd 64 zoom disabled checked settings in virtual reality cfg and xml
All are correct, my friend has same issue didn’t have any issue with oculus cv1
Pc intel i7 7700k 4.8 ghx
Nvidia 1080ti
32 gig ram
2x 1tb ssd m2
ASUs rog mboard
Use orbx scenery
Pmdg737ngx

I would be grateful for any ideas please I don’t mean to swear but this is driving me towards
Xplane11🤬
rossj202

Post by rossj202 »

Hi
Here's a link to my post on flyinside forum. https://forum.flyinside-fsx.com/viewtop ... =54&t=7720. I'm currently trying to get my Pimax 5k+ working to a standard better than my Oculus cv1 on P3dv4.5. Clarity of guages a big disappointment at present but I am still working on it. My system i7-8700k oc gtx 1080Ti. Various utube videos claim good guage clarity. I not sure whether gtx 2080 is the only reason.
FSXDEV

Post by FSXDEV »

Hey guys,

I’m curious how much the video card affects VR specifically? I need smooth frame rates and to be able to read the instruments but don’t care about outside visuals as much. Would 2 2080ti have a benefit, or maybe 1 titan rtx? I intend to experiment with a few headsets, including the Varjo.