P3D v6 Questions, Requests, Features

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
vtracy

P3D v6 Questions, Requests, Features

Post by vtracy »

I am very happy to read of LMs plans to release v6, soon!
After reading the FAQs for MSFS 2024, I should like to know if v6 is going to be on the same level; hence my questions/requests:

1-System improvements? multithreading, intelligent use of more RAM,
2-use/support of graphics card engine,
3-(further)performance improvement, better scenery loading times?
4-better, easier to use, multiplayer support
5-better VR support PLEASE!

MS seems to even more relying on cloud storage for scenery support, and the associated problems that creates, like download handling etc.;
I am happy with keeping my sceneries on fast internal storage media because they seem to eveolve every 2 years, like from HDD to SSD to M.2. But that requires improvement of loading times. For example, I have only M.2 PCIe storage but still have stutters when flying low level over terrain like Innsbruck approach or over the South of England.
Graphics card usage: Although I have 12GB of VRAM, I still see plack spots, popping up of scenery; I believe the graphics engine ist still under-used. Will there be a new graphics engine, like Unreal?
MultiPlayer support: It would be nice to be able to play MP over Internet connection without the need for external programmes like VPN.

In conclusion: after seeing what is coming from MS in 2024, after the big announcement for MSFS 2020 as a „completely new sim“, I am glad that I stuck with P3D‘s slow, methodical,steady, improvements. LM keep up the good work!

Volker
suaviter in modo fortiter in re
ronh991

Re: P3D v6 Questions, Requests, Features

Post by ronh991 »

I'd like to add to this, Since "the oxygen has been sucked out of the room wrt to developers for P3D", Will there ever be an entry level way in to P3D development?

I specifically ask that the SDK include a Blender exporter and information/tutorials to help with creating simobjects etc. Blender is evolving and the "community" Blender2FSXP3D exporter has to be maintained. There are two breaking changes in Blender 3.3 and Blender 3.4 plus that break this exporter. I know I used to help maintain it. ASOBO/MS has a blender exporter.

Is scaleform (copyright 2012 - Adobe flash) still a viable way to make panels?

The entry barrier for new developers to work in P3D is quite substantial. ADOBE 3DS max, P3D dev licence (possibly going up in price as the professional version almost doubled?)

Chris Metel - so how did the walk about go?
Ron
EllipticCurve

Post by EllipticCurve »

I'm disturbed to read v6 will require "always on internet WHILE RUNNING P3D".

Not all of us have reliable internet, and I'm one of them. A loss of internet will no doubt mean P3D will terminate, which makes it useless for me.

The single biggest thing that will stop me using ANY product is this always-on rubbish.
All comments and opinions are my own.
EllipticCurve

Post by EllipticCurve »

ronh991 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:07 pm I'd like to add to this, Since "the oxygen has been sucked out of the room wrt to developers for P3D", Will there ever be an entry level way in to P3D development?

I specifically ask that the SDK include a Blender exporter and information/tutorials to help with creating simobjects etc. Blender is evolving and the "community" Blender2FSXP3D exporter has to be maintained. There are two breaking changes in Blender 3.3 and Blender 3.4 plus that break this exporter. I know I used to help maintain it. ASOBO/MS has a blender exporter.

Is scaleform (copyright 2012 - Adobe flash) still a viable way to make panels?

The entry barrier for new developers to work in P3D is quite substantial. ADOBE 3DS max, P3D dev licence (possibly going up in price as the professional version almost doubled?)

Chris Metel - so how did the walk about go?
Not that I can see, no. FSX shipped with a stripped-down version of 3DSMax, but it soon became abandonware and not possible to obtain keys for (you needed to register with AutoDesk back then). It was a good ruse to hook people into 3DSMax though.

Blender support (ALL VERSIONS) is a must! I refuse to run older software versions just for some plug-in. Software devs need to stop being lazy. They claim "free" software is better, then fail to keep their software up-to-date! It's a joke.
All comments and opinions are my own.
vtracy

Post by vtracy »

#EllipticCurvr, The way I understand the licence announcement, it meanst that for legal purposes(!), i. e. to make sure that there are only users of one household using the application. I do hope, and expect, that the software runs ‚detached‘ i. e. needs nor download/online update facility to run (like MSFS)!

Volker
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

vtracy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:18 pm #EllipticCurvr, The way I understand the licence announcement, it meanst that for legal purposes(!), i. e. to make sure that there are only users of one household using the application. I do hope, and expect, that the software runs ‚detached‘ i. e. needs nor download/online update facility to run (like MSFS)!

Volker
Hello vtracy ,
Volker

https://www.prepar3d.com/news/announcem ... 06/121250/

“The Personal license will require users to maintain internet connectivity during use. “

“Complete details will be provided in the End User License Agreement (EULA) at the time of Prepar3D v6 release. “
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
vtracy

Post by vtracy »

I saw that, too, Martyson.
I agree, it is ambiguous; however, I expect/hope that as I wrote, the Internet connection is NOT meant to maintain a permanent download(!) of data (scenery?) in order to function. My conviction (😁) is corrobrorated by e. g. the fact that the Professional version does not require an online connection to run, as stated explicitly in the license text.
Well, in a few days, we will find out for shure.
in any way, I am much more interested in enjoying many more features, as I wrote in my first thread.

Volker
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello vtracy ,
Volker

Current refund policy:
https://www.prepar3d.com/support/refundpolicy/

If Lockheed Martin’s 14 Day Money-Back Guarantee remains the same for the v6 licenses you will be able to test to see if it meets your needs and get your money back if it does not.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)